Protecting your property – while renting – with JMD
WHY SHOULD I INVEST IN RENTERS INSURANCE?
Your rented property needs protection just as much as an owned property. While renters insurance is not required by law, it is definitely recommended.
If you are subletting or renting a space such as an apartment, condo, house, etc., it is likely that you will want to cover the belongings within the space or even living expenses in the case of a loss event such as theft or fire.
Because renters insurance is very affordable and can cover large amounts of damage, renters insurance is something that every renter should consider.
WHAT IS COVERED WITH RENTERS INSURANCE
- Coverage for personal property and belongings
- Policyholders are covered in the event that someone gets injured on the property
- Policyholder is protected against losses occurring for a myriad of reasons such a theft or vandalism, water damage, smoke or fires, lightning, high winds, and explosions
- Renters insurance does not typically cover certain natural disasters such as floods or earthquakes. These types of insurance may need to be bought separately especially if living in an area or region where this occurrences are common
CHOICES IN COVERAGE OPTIONS
There are typically two main types of coverage options to choose from when determining the renters insurance coverage that is best for you. They are replacement cost and actual cash value.
- Replacement cost may cost a little more but for good reason. With this type of insurance, the coverage payout will be substantial enough to replace the items damaged or taken in a loss event. In addition, you will be able to replace it at the full retail price
- Actual cash value will only pay for the value that the item was when it was damaged or taken in a loss event.
A third additional option to also consider is what is called a floater. This protects the renter if they want coverage for high-value possessions (value that may be higher than ordinary). This will provide additional coverage for the specific item.
JMD would be happy to assist with any questions or information needed on renters insurance. Give us a call or visit our FAQ page to find out more about our premiums and deductibles.
Weighing premiums and deductibles:
Once we identify the best possible coverage and carrier for you, JMD will help you determine the most cost-effective approach to premiums and deductibles.
Higher deducible plans are lower risk by providers which means they come with the benefit of lower monthly premiums. Conversely, lower deductible plans are higher risk by providers resulting in higher monthly premiums.
For more on premiums and deductibles visit our FAQ page.FAQs
Ask us about additional ways to save including:
- Accident and ticket-free discounts
- Bundling your Auto and Homeowners policies
- Completing an online Defensive Driving Course for an additional 10% off your premium
We offer state certified Defensive Driving Courses for New York drivers.Learn More & Sign Up